Guidelines for Use
How you can contribute to our HERstory
The digital archives on this website are interactive and there are four ways that you can be involved. You must be logged in to contribute. Please Register here if you haven’t already and feel free to Contact Us if you have any questions.
- Click on the Contribute button on the far Left-side of your screen.
Use this section to Tell Us about a Person, Group, Building or Event. Each of these follow the same format for contributing information:
- Title – what are you telling us about? For example, ‘Life at the Hostel’
- Copyright – in most cases you can leave the settings as they are.
- Tell us a few extra details – click on this to contribute your HERstory and fill out each section with as much information as you wish to share. When you’ve finished, click Submit & Finish on the bottom Left-side of your screen.
- To upload a photograph, click Upload Photograph. This follows mostly the same format as above, but also includes uploading a photo (located just under the title). Remember to click Submit & Finish when you’re done.
- Your contribution will be reviewed by Admin before appearing on HERstory and you will be notified by email.
- You can add and share your memories about items on HERstory by creating a Recollection.
- Click on the item you wish to add a comment to – a photograph, for example.
- Then click on the red Add icon on the Left-side of your screen.
- Fill in the box that appears with your recollection, memory or comment and click on Add my story when you’ve finished.
- You will be notified that your story has been added and it will be visible straight away under Recollections on the Left-side panel of your screen.
- You can suggest that an item be edited because a name may have been misspelled or a date is incorrect.
- Click on the item you wish to edit – a chapel photo, for example.
- Then click on the Edit icon at the top Left-side of your screen.This will take you to a page of information about this item. You can then type your changes into the different boxes displayed.
- At the bottom, in the Additional comments box, you can tell us more about why you think this information needs to be changed or added.
- When complete, click Save. Your suggestion will be reviewed by Admin before appearing on HERstory and you will be notified by email.
- You can Tag items on HERstory, which means you can add names to people or things in photos and publications.
- Click on the item you wish to tag – a class photo, for example.
- Then click on the red Add icon on the Left-side of your screen and drop the cross that appears onto the part of the item you wish to tag by left-clicking your mouse.
- In the window that opens, make your selection from the drop-down box (under ‘What are you tagging’) – a person, for example.
- In the second box that appears, type in the person’s name (or the name of the building, group, etc., that you are tagging).
- When complete, click Save. Your tag will be visible straight away.
- Special note: Early photos of the Sisters have purposely been left unnamed; please help us respect them by not tagging their photos. Thank you.